10 Steps to Follow If You Are a Victim of an Accident:
1. ALWAYS STAY CALM- Stay calm at the accident scene. Make sure the accident scene is safe and that all people are out of the way of potential danger.
2. MEDICAL ATTENTION- If anyone is injured call an ambulance immediately. Stop any bleeding but do not move any person if you feel it may cause more injury. Keep any injured person calm and wait for trained medical personnel.
3. PROTECT THE ACCIDENT SCENE- Always keep in mind that any accident scene can cause a dangerous situation for other accidents. If this is an automobile accident, place cones or flares if you have them and ask any motorists who have stopped to help if they will direct traffic around the scene.
4. ALWAYS CALL THE POLICE- Call the police and wait for them to arrive. Ask the officers to make a report. Be calm and tell the police the correct facts of how the accident happened. Cooperate fully with the officers. Be polite.
5. GATHER INFORMATION- Get the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all witnesses. Make a note of any comments made by the other driver or any witnesses.
6. SEE YOUR DOCTOR- Many times injuries from an automobile accident do not result in immediate pain. Injuries to muscles and other tissues do not start hurting for hours. When this happens, go to a doctor or hospital immediately. A delay in seeking medical care can cause more injury to you. If there is the slightest chance you are injured, seek medical care.
7. CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY- Report the accident to your insurance company and cooperate with your agent. Ask your agent if you are covered by Medical Payments Coverage. Tell us if you are.
8. IF YOU HAVE BEEN INJURED CALL US IMMEDIATELY- Ask for the advice of an experienced personal injury attorney. You can contact Paul Gertz for free advice and possible representation for your injuries and damages.
9. UNDERSTAND YOUR RIGHTS- You should always know your legal rights in order to protect yourself. DO NOT give a statement, in person or recorded on the phone, to the other party's insurance company. When the adjuster calls, tell then NO and contact The Gertz Law Firm. We will help you.
10. TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS- Always take as many photographs of the situation and injuries as you can. It is best to use a digital camera. You can use a cell phone camera if that is all you have available. Remember - "A picture is worth a thousand words."
Accident cases can be complex, so you should not delay. Act immediately by calling The Gertz Law Firmwith any questions you may have. Our attorneys and staff are always here to help you at every step of your case. We value the confidence you place in us and we will do everything possible for you and your family. Our goal at The Gertz Law Firmis to give each of our clients the highest quality legal advice and services to protect your rights. Let our team of experts work for you.